Sunday, November 9, 2008

Eating my own words...

When I found out the naval hospital had grabbed the referral for my surgery, I was horrified. I have heard so many horror stories about military hospitals and we've had our own horrible encounters with the ER at naval hospital. I know there are some wonderful military doctors, but there are so many that are NOT wonderful by any shape of the imagination, and I don't like the concept of not being able to fire my doctor! I equate it to playing Russion roulette when trusting my family's health to the military health care system.

However... I didn't have an option that was really going to work for us. I could change to a different insurance plan, but that meant big bucks that we really don't have, especially when we're trying to pay off all debt before retirement. I could also just go to a civilian surgeon and stay enrolled in my current insurance plan, but that would mean even more money.

So, being in pain, I made the appointment and got the doctor's name so I could do research on her. I really liked what I read about her education, and looked forward to meeting her. My first appointment with this doctor really helped me relax about what was ahead. The doctor took plenty of time with me, explaining the options we had as far as treatment, and the risks associated with each. She explained how the whole liver/gallbladder/digestion system works to make sure I had the info I needed to make an educated decision. She even released me from the naval hospital so I could go to a civilian physician and be more comfortable with the system.

After meeting her, praying about the right thing to do, and the pain continuing, I decided to go with the naval hospital after all. I'm so glad I did! The care I received there, from the nurse scheduling the appointments and surgery, to the corpsman who wheeled me to the door of the hospital after my stay, was absolutely wonderful, with the exception of only three people. Even the food service was amazing!!

I will continue seeing my civilian physician, and avoiding the naval ER with every bone in my body, but it's nice to know that I can expect wonderful care if I ever have to have another surgery (or... gasp... another child) at Bremerton Naval Hospital!

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad you had a good experience! I can just see the relief through your post. I, too, am all against using a military hospital, but when my hubby had his umbilical hernia surgery this past summer? He had amazing care. That's saying alot for NASJAX.

    Prayers for a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful that you had such a great experience. Hoping you're feeling much better and are recovering nicely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad it was a good experience. :)

    ReplyDelete